Here is some untied, generally directional options activity that caught my eye during Monday’s trading:
1. RSX – when the Russia Vectors Equity etf was 15.94, five minutes prior to the close there was a large opening buyer of downside puts paying .25 for 26,400 of the Jan 11 puts. The etf is up nearly 22% from last week’s panic low of $12,50.
2. DD – saw some late day call activity where a trader rolled what looked to be a bullish bet up. When the stock was 74.17 a trader sold to close 22,000 Jan 72.50 calls at 2.17 to close and bought 22,000 Jan 74.50 calls for 1.19 to open. Shortly after another 5,000 Jan 74.50 calls were bought for 1.18 to open making 31,000 on the day. DD closed at a new 52 week and 14 year high.
3. EEM – trader paid 1.
4. CRM – with the stock 59.73 there was an opening buyer of 5,000 of the May 45 puts paying .86 to open. This is a very curious strike, even if for protection as the break-even is down 26% at $44.14, down 26% and below the range the stock has been in for most of the year:
5. JD – options volume ran 2.5x avg daily volume, with most coming in a large closing put sale. When the stock was 24.53 a trader sold 35,
6. XLF – saw what looked like some targeted put buying in the Jan30th weekly expiration,
7. HLF – top 10 most active strikes were all puts,