Focus shifts this week to the economic data in the U.S. The first week of the month brings us the ISM Manufacturing report this morning, the ISM Non-Manufacturing report on Thursday morning, the ADP employment report on Thursday morning, and the highly watched Non-Farm Payrolls report on Friday.
Outside of the U.S., European services PMI’s are released tomorrow morning. However, global markets are most keenly anticipating the ECB meeting on Thursday morning, with Draghi’s monthly press conference slated for 8:30 am EDT. The EUR/USD cross is trading at a 52 week low ahead of that event, where traders will be looking for timing signals for eventual QE in the Eurozone.
Besides the ECB, the Bank of Japan will also be releasing its Monetary Policy statement this week, on the night of Sept 3 / Sept 4. The U.S. Dollar is also within 1% of a 52 week high vs. the Yen.
As for single stocks, earnings are light, but there are several large conferences this week where many companies are speaking. The Citi Global Technology Conference (includes XRX, NTAP, YHOO, Z, HPQ, BRCM, GLW, INTC, P, MSFT, FEYE, and TWTR, among others) and the Barclays CEO Energy-Power Conference (includes HAL, MRO, NEE, APA, APC, WMB, COP, SLB, CHK, and KMI, among others) are two of the headliners.
Here is the single stock calendar:
Tuesday, September 2nd
- CONN earnings before the open
Wednesday, September 3rd
- TOL earnings before the open
- NAV earnings before the open
- PVH earnings after the close
- HRB earnings after the close
Thursday, September 4th
- CIEN earnings before the open
- JOY earnings before the open
- PAY earnings before the open
- UTIW earnings before the open
- FSC investor day
- LOCO earnings after the close
- FNSR earnings after the close
- ZQK earnings after the close
Friday, September 5th
- RFMD Extraordinary Shareholders Meeting – M&A Vote